I always call this type of project a “looks-like-it’s-an-art-project-but-it’s-actually-a-math-project” because the spatial awareness happening is dynamite.
Professor Kristian moment:
Did you know that spatial awareness skills are an indicator of one’s success in understanding global mathematical concepts? Spatial awareness is one of THE most important skillsets to master for mathematical success.
- Foam Shapes (1/2 lb bag) (1 lb bag)
- White Paper
- Heart Outline (print one or just draw one)
- Construction Paper for Background (optional)
- Provide each little with a paper that has a bold heart outline. Talk about hearts and the characteristics of the heart (curved parts, straight parts, one point).
- Model placing (without gluing!) foam shapes inside of the heart narrating how you are trying to cover up as much white space as possible inside of the heart while placing the pieces close to another. Clear your heart and then invite them to create their own!