If your kids love drawing, they will go crazy for our dinosaur directed draw with a free printable guide! Follow along step-by-step for an easy, adorable dinosaur every time.
Your kids will love this dinosaur directed draw
Drawing animals can be tricky and often intimidating for many kids.
Drawing dinosaurs can be especially challenging because they’re big and detailed.
BUT NOT ANYMORE! This step-by-step guide will have your littles drawing hundreds and thousands of dinos in no time.
Related: Our GIANT 10-foot dinosaur coloring banner is new, full of dinosaurs, and absolutely rawr-some!
Dinosaur directed draw = a recipe for success
We love setting kids up for success, and directed draws are exactly that.
When using the (free) printable guide, kids can see exactly what to draw first, second, third, etc.
Few things are more spectacular than hearing a kid excitedly exclaim that they drew something new for the first time.
Searching for more dinosaur ideas? Look no further!
- Dino Bath Sensory Activity – Busy Toddler
- Geometric Dinosaur Art Project – The Best Ideas for Kids
- Colorful Paper Plate Dinosaurs for Kids – Toddler Approved
Friends Art Lab is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more about these links in my disclosure policy.
- FREE printable guide (below)
- White paper – watercolor paper is preferred if using watercolor paints, but not required
- Drawing or painting supplies
All there is to it is to print the step-by-step guide and get to creating!
In the photos, I drew the dinosaur with a black Sharpie and then filled it in with watercolor paints.
However, you can use ANY of your favorite supplies. Your child might want to use the same materials I did, or they might want to create the whole thing with crayons, colored pencils, markers, paint, or…
One of the very best parts about directed draws is how you can use whatever materials you love and have on hand.
Related: We have a whole collection of directed draw sets that kids LOVE!
Why I love directed draws
- Enhance fine motor skills – when kids draw, they use a combination of various hand positions + placements, which aid in stronger, more refined control.
- Develop sequencing skills – kids learn what steps to follow in a specific order, learning first is ___, next is ___, etc.
- Boost creativity & self-expression – kids may follow steps for making something, but they can imagine, explore, and create based on their tastes and preferences by choosing what materials, colors, and media to use.
- Build focus and concentration – the directions require kids to focus on what comes next in the sequence and have the attention to complete something from beginning to end…
- Boost confidence – Academic learning and skills are always a high priority in learning, but so is confidence. I can’t think of a more profound skill to build in a child than their ability to believe in their talents and abilities, and directed draws make kids feel like superstars.
Any that has basic drawing skills and draw the types of lines shown in the guide.
We sure do! Check out our full collection.
ANYthing that you have will do!
Time to start your dinosaur directed draws!
Grab your supplies + the free printable and you’re ready to hit the road.
The only question you have to ask yourself is, “How much paper do I have?” (because your kids will want to make many of these).
And don’t forget, we have several sets of directed draws that your kids will love, too.